Not so long ago I wrote a blog post about the future of scuba diving. One of the trends I predicted is scuba diving without a scuba tank. Well, the future is much closer then I thought as this month the Triton breathing mask was introduced. An oxygen respirator concept that allows us to breathe under water for a long time by simply biting it. A hoax or a real technological advancement?!
A friend of mind brought this mask to my attention. Some intensive research made clear that all online articles point towards the company Yanko Design, a web magazine who write about international design, covering from industrial design, concepts, technology, interior design, architecture, exhibition and fashion. The industrial designer behind the mask would be Jeabyun Yeon.
They make some pretty extravagant claims about the Triton oxygen mask:
- Triton uses a new technology of artificial gill model.
- It extracts oxygen under water through a filter in the form of fine threads with holes smaller than water molecules.
- This is a technology developed by a Korean scientist that allows us to freely breathe under water for a long time.
- Using a very small but powerful micro compressor, it compresses oxygen and stores the extracted oxygen in storage tank.
- The micro compressor operates through micro battery.
- The micro battery is a next-generation technology with a size 30 times smaller than current battery that can quickly charge 1,000 times faster.
In my opinion the future is still the future. The above are just claims they can't substantiate. The story has been hyped while the an industrial designer made some really beautful designs, but that's all it is... designs.